Please ensure your gear, especially footwear and socks, are cleaned and have no dirt or seeds before coming to the event. We will be treating your footwear with citric acid disinfectant at registration to prevent the spread of Mycoplasma bovis prior to you going on farm. Also straight after the event do the same cleaning of all your gear ready for your next adventure. Our continuing use of private land is dependent on this.
Compulsory Gear List
Heights of Winter 2018 is being held on land ranging up to 500m. At the higher altitudes winds may be strong and cold. Competitors must be fully prepared for adverse winter conditions.
All teams taking part in the event must wear or carry the following equipment:
Per team member
- Thermal top in addition to whatever you start off wearing (e.g. polypropylene, merino)
- Thermal bottom (eg polypropylene, merino)
- Waterproof jacket
- Hat and gloves.
- Water and food (e.g. lollies, muesli bar, other snack foods)
- Survival blanket or pack liner
- Headlamp/torch with new batteries
- Backpack to carry above
- Suitable, robust, well-fitting footwear with well-treaded soles
- First aid kit
Suggested Additional Gear– Participants may also wish to consider having and/or carrying the following:
- Highlighter to plan and mark your route.
- Pencil or pen to record codes if there are faulty controls.
- Gaiters, tights or similar lower body protection clothing.
- Waterproof leggings.
- Personal Locator Beacon
- Cell phone
- UV or chlorine water treatment, if you wish to drink water from streams.