Please ensure your gear, especially footwear and socks, are cleaned and have no dirt or seeds before coming to the event. Also straight after the event do the same cleaning of all your gear ready for your next adventure. Our continuing use of public and private land is dependent on this.
Compulsory Gear List
Heights of Winter 2020 is being held in a sub-alpine environment ranging up to 1370m. At the higher altitudes winds may be strong and cold. Snow is quite possible. Competitors must be fully prepared for adverse winter conditions.
All teams taking part in the event must wear or carry the following equipment:
Per team member
- Thermal top in addition to whatever you start off wearing (e.g. polypropylene, merino)
- Thermal bottom (eg polypropylene, merino)
- Waterproof jacket
- Hat and gloves.
- Water (no water will be provided before or during the event, but most of the course has good quality natural water)
- Food (e.g. lollies, muesli bar, other snack foods)
- Survival blanket
- Headlamp/torch with new batteries
- Backpack to carry above
- Suitable, robust, well-fitting footwear with well-treaded soles
- First aid kit
Suggested Additional Gear– Participants may also wish to consider having and/or carrying the following:
- Highlighter to plan and mark your route.
- Pencil or pen to record codes if there are faulty controls.
- Gaiters, tights or similar lower body protection clothing.
- Waterproof leggings.
- Personal Locator Beacon (highly recommended)
- Cell phone (there is reception only at higher altitudes)